What is the difference between Residential and Nursing Care? 

 There are primarily two types of Homes. Those which provide mainly personal care (previously called residential homes) and those which also provide nursing care. People who can no longer cope with their day to day activities alone in their own home, even with a carer or outside help need the support offered and personnel care of a Care Home including accommodation, personal care (such as help with bathing and dressing) and meals. People whose infirmity, illness or injury require nursing care on a regular basis, which cannot be provided for them at home by the District Nursing Services, also need a Care Home (these used to be called Nursing Homes). This sort of care, the law says, can only be provided by a Qualified Nurse or under the direct supervision of a Nurse. Nursing care generally requires higher fees than personal care because of this care being by Qualified Nurses, on top of the personal care, accommodation and meals. 

 In addition, for those elderly people who are mentally infirm with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, some homes are classed as ‘Dementia’ Care Homes. 

It is important to make sure that the home you choose is the right kind for your needs, both now and in the future. 

 Types of care home 

There are two main types of care homes you can search for on this website – residential and nursing homes. You can use the links below to find the services you need. 

Residential care home 

  • Range in size from very small homes with few beds to large-scale facilities. 
  • Offer care and support throughout the day and night. 
  • Staff help with washing, dressing, at meal times and with using the toilet. 
  • Residential care homes 

Nursing homes 

This type of home will normally offer the same type of care as residential ones but with the addition of: 

  • 24-hour medical care from a qualified nurse. 

 Can trial visits be arranged? 

Care for your life welcomes Trial Visits. We believe it is best practice for all Residential and nursing homes to offer a trial visit for a couple of hours or even a whole day, providing an opportunity to experience the surroundings, meet staff and fellow residents, and to try out the menu. Please contact us if you wish to come for a trial visit (Terms and conditions apply). 

 What is a top-up? 

A top-up is a payment made by a third party i.e. a relative or a power of attorney. It supplements the funding paid by your local Social Care & Health Department. This payment enables a resident to stay in a home where fees are greater than the standard amount agreed by Social Care & Health, and it makes up the difference. Care for your life conducts its own financial assessment for the residents who want to come to us to decide if we charge a top up or not depending on various conditions like the room, level of care required etc. At care for your life Top-Ups can range from £20 to £100 per week. 

 Do we need to pay extra for Nursing Care? 

Registered Nursing Care Contributions or Funded Nursing Care covers the costs of nursing care within a nursing home, and is paid by the appropriate Clinical Commissioning Group. It is not paid to residents in residential homes. It is paid to the home directly by the Clinical Commissioning Group and is normally deductible from the gross cost of nursing home fees for privately funded residents. Two levels of registered nursing care contributions are currently offered: high and flat rate, which equate to £151.10 and £109.79 respectively. A regular assessment is carried out by a local nurse assessor to ascertain which level is payable and for which resident. 

Are all homes registered and inspected? 

 Any person (individual, partnership or organisation) who provides regulated activity in England must be registered with us otherwise they commit an offence. The purpose of registration and inspection is to guarantee the standard of care you are entitled to receive. In order to be registered, a home has to comply with the law and also with the registering Authority’s own guidelines. These specify the high standards required, for example the room sizes, number of bathrooms and toilets, staffing levels, food, services and facilities, fire safety and records to be kept. Each home is regularly inspected. All Homes are required by law to display their Care Quality Commission reports in the reception areas. For further information please go to www.cqc.org.uk 

 How can I pay the bill or make payments: 

 Your family member may be at risk with accommodation if you do not pay your bill. 

Care for your life has a wide range of payment options that you can choose from. 

Standing Order/Direct Debit 

Standing Order and Direct Debit are the most effective ways for you to pay your fees. Once it is set up it is one less thing for you to worry about! 

Payments can be made from your bank account via a standing order or direct debit. To pay this way please ring us on 01522 521956 and ask for a standing order form or You can use the link below to download a Direct Debit form, please complete and return to your bank directly to setup a standing order. 

You can download a Standing Order form below. 

By post 

Payments can be made by cheque or postal order via the post. Please make cheques payable to the home name you are paying if paying by post. 

Bank transfer: 

If you wish to pay by bank transfer (BACS) please see the links below to find out the Bank details for individual Home: